BIOAs a screenwriter, Dan Gunderman is equally comfortable writing drama or comedy, commercial or indie. His historical action screenplay Jayhawkers won the Jacob Krueger Studio Fellowship in 2012, and his comedy screenplay Stupid Cupid was one of the winners of the 2015 StoryPros International Screenplay Contest. In the New York theater world, Dan has participated in the 24-Hour Plays and the Dog & Pony variety shows, and was one-third of the sketch comedy trio The Nice Men. He has worked for the Jim Henson Company and is currently the creative director at Big Duck, a communications firm that works exclusively with nonprofits. Dan studied theater and literature at Sarah Lawrence College and sits on the board of directors for the Leah Ryan Fund for Emerging Women Writers, which provides an annual award for emerging women playwrights and offers grants to writers facing life-threatening illnesses.
- Dan Gunderman offers supportive feedback but also spots gaps in your script, spanning anything from formatting to plot holes to character development. Super friendly too! - Tara Y.
- Dan Gunderman is a gift from heaven!--Michael M.
- Since I wrote this review, the script I worked on with Dan has advanced in competition and received a lot of positive feedback. Yay! I'm so glad I worked with him on it! I've also had a few opportunities to meet with producers and potentially get paid writing work. Dan coached me through preparing for those meetings, pitching ideas, and getting to "yes." Dan has been incredible in helping me develop work that showcases my range as a writer and take steps toward my goal of becoming a working writer. Dan's ProTrack mentorship was invaluable in turning around a script that had me completely stumped. Prior to working with Dan, I had an idea I was passionate about and had been thinking about for a long time, but that wasn't translating onto the page the way I wanted. I wrote a full draft that just didn't work. The tone was wrong, the themes were wrong, and I was feeling completely stuck and close to abandoning the whole idea. Enter Dan. Dan has the magical ability to help you shape an authentic story, even if you’re feeling really confused about where you're going with it at first. With Dan's patient guidance, I figured out what my characters really wanted, why they were in conflict, and how their choices would drive the story. At the beginning, I wasn't sure how the heck I was going to write a whole script, but he advised me to just keep going and see where my characters took me. I’m sure glad I listened because now I have a finished script I'm extremely proud of and that is far beyond anything I could have finished without Dan's guidance! And did I mention Dan is hilarious? And that he’s great at knowing how to make a mediocre scene really punchy and funny? And that he’s also really fun to work with, super encouraging, and about the kindest, most constructive mentor you could hope for? I can't recommend working with Dan enough. I had a fantastic experience and can't wait to start a new project with him!--Anna A.
- My time with Dan has been extremely helpful, much more so than I could have initially thought. I have seen my writing improve tremendously within a few months. Dan has led me like Virgil through the Inferno and has been instrumental in helping me develop my voice. For that, I am eternally grateful. Plus, he's a really nice guy! I'm a very lucky student.--Corinne M.
- I wanted to say thank you for access to your "Getting Past the Gatekeepers" seminar and also write with some good news. I recently closed my first deal (an original teleplay for a major network) and was inducted into the WGA yesterday. I have leaned heavily on Dan throughout this process: from getting my pitch ready to outlining the story beats, to feedback on the first draft. I have been so grateful for all of his fantastic advice. Earlier this year, I wasn't too far from giving up on writing as a potential new career and trying something "practical" like coding (ugh). Thankfully, Dan encouraged me to stick with it. Now, Dan and I are working through a dark comedy that will hopefully round out my writing samples and help me level up.-Anne A.